Saturday, November 26, 2022

 See What I Thought Of. . .



The Hallowed Earth

As an avid reviewer I get to read a lot of books, most of which I enjoy, due to my knack for selecting material I know I’ll like. But every now and then, I come across a little gem that truly resonates. And, The Hallowed Earth, by Carol Coney, really set my ‘happy bells’ a ringing.

Take a peek at the blurb:

*************

‘Gasping for breath, he closed his eyes, willing it to be over, whilst all around him the spectres resumed their pitiful screams into the darkness.’

In the near future, amid the blood soaked aftermath of a global war and a pandemic known as the Mors virus, Luke Faerona is drowning in the waters of Belfast Lough. Just as he lets go of life, he is pulled from the water and thrown into the freefall of fevered dreams and nightmares that soon seep into his waking reality. Luke’s sanity is tested as he begins to see angels, demons, monsters and faeries lurking in the shadows around him. As his world becomes fractured, will Luke accept that his dreams are real, and with each day that passes Hell is closing in.

*************

Intriguing eh? And it gets better, thanks, in the main to Coney’s skill at weaving her tribute to all manner of faerie folk legends into a post apocalyptic setting, centered in one of the few places on Earth where the mundane and metaphysical are known to overlap: Ireland.

Such is the nature of the story arc that I would be remiss if I tried to share anything of what takes place here, as Coney skillfully reveals the plot through hints, subtext, flashbacks, and world-jumping that I would spoil if I tried to explain it here. So I won’t. You’ll have to witness it yourself.

But you’ll be glad you did, as I can assure you . . . You’ll love it!

I certainly felt that way as I navigated a path that leads you from one level of existence into the next in the most delightful way. It’s hypnotic; ethereal; unsettling and addictive all at once, with a wonderfully oppressive, claustrophobic undertow that permeates the characters’ lives, their temperaments, outlooks and aspirations. Humankind is in danger, you see. But it isn’t just the Mors virus that proves lethal.

No, you can’t take anything at face value. Because that’s the one sure way you’ll end up dead.

The Hallowed Earth. A most excellent escape from the drudgery of real life.


Amazon Review

No comments:

Post a Comment