Friday, October 28, 2022

 This Week, I Faced Up To My Own. . .



Dark Fear

This second book in Marcus Abshire’s Ways of the Warlock Series sees the pace and mayhem increase exponentially. Jakobus and Melandra are edging ever closer to finding out who it was that ordered the slaughter of the white witch, and, subsequently, trying to frame Jakobus for that deed. The trouble is, the closer they get, the more frantic things become. As the blurb highlights:

*************

White witches can’t be trusted, and anyone with any sense knows that. So that either makes me an idiot or a fool to do so. I’ll let you decide which.

I have a good reason, though. A sister of the white witch coven wants revenge for a murder she thinks I committed. Problem is, I didn’t kill anyone. Okay, that’s a lie. I’ve killed people, lots of people, just not this one. Melandra says she wants to help, wants to keep her coven sister from corrupting her soul by sending a monster made from magic to kill me. But it’s not that simple. Things usually never are.

I need to clear my name and keep from getting killed. Hopefully, in the process, I can save Melandra’s friend from falling into darkness, and while I’m at it, avoid a lethal assassin and an insane Immortal, both with their own reasons to see me dead. I thought that if I stopped using black magic, my life would get less dangerous… Turns out, I was wrong.

*************

Yes, things get rather fraught as Jakobus and Melandra home in on the assassin; the one who sent her; and the actual reason why their respective worlds are turning upside down. And uncovering the truth doesn’t make things any easier. Mistrust and doubt still exists, especially among the witches who insist on treating Jakobus like a murderous villain. Of course, this has the potential to lead to complications. Exactly the thing they need to avoid if they’re going to survive what’s coming. History is unraveled. Secrets are revealed. Sides are chosen. Risks taken. And consequences set in motion.

Who lives and who dies?

Ah, for that, you’ll have to face your own dark fears. So, settle in for the ride and take delight – as I did – in the relentless action; the pieces of a complex puzzle falling into place; and the epic conclusion that sees Jakobus facing off against an unkillable creature.

All in a day’s work for a former warlock.


No comments:

Post a Comment