Thursday, September 8, 2022

 A Highly Rated Score In. . .



Dark Test

I’ve been looking forward to reading Marcus Abshire’s Ways of the Warlock series as the into blurb hits all the right buttons. See for yourself:

*************

My name is Jakobus Shaw, and all I want is to be left the hell alone.

Once upon a time, I was a warlock. I killed, I tortured, I did all kinds of horrible things for more power, for more control, but I have tried hard to put that all behind me.

Now, someone just framed me for murder. A coven of white witches thinks I killed one of their own, and they want their pound of flesh.

My past is coming back to haunt me, and there isn't a damn thing I can do to stop it. If I don’t find the real killer before the witches find me, it’s all over.

Who is going to kill me first? White witches hell-bent on revenge? An assassin hired to tie up loose ends, or an Immortal with more power than he knows what to do with? I guess we'll see.

*************

And ‘see’ you do in a nifty little tale that is as high on adrenalin as it is on dry humor.

I connected with Abshire’s style of writing from the outset, and was immediately reminded of then vibe created by Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files. It’s familiar. It’s cozy. It creates a welcoming tone that invites you in and encourages you to take part.

Jakobus is a guy with a checkered past who is doing his best to stay on the straight and narrow. Not an easy thing to do with a seemingly endless posse of magic-wielding practitioners lining up to get a piece of him. While far from happy about that, his down-to-earth and no-nonsense attitude help him deal with such problems head-on. So things get physical, and sorcerous pretty quickly. In a good way. Abshire’s main protagonist is far from invincible . . . but his nobody’s fool either, and sets out to discover just who it is that wants so desperately to set him up for a fall.

And it’s great fun!
I found his characters relatable and convincing. His story arc, entertaining. The pace a pleasing balance of action and plot development that keeps you intrigued throughout. And what the heck, there’s even a dash of sexual tension thrown in.   

As I say, it all adds up to a great story that I thoroughly enjoyed. You really ought to check this series out. I know I will be.



No comments:

Post a Comment