Saturday, February 12, 2022

 A 'Full Marks' Review For. . .



The Devil’s Mark

Like most of us, I’m inundated with adverts, filled with suggestions as to what I might like to read next. I don’t usually pay attention to them, as I have a pretty defined ‘go to’ source that never fails.

Saying that, the moment I saw the cover of, The Devil’s Mark, a crossover novel by Tony Acree and Lynn Tincher, I took a second look.

And then I read the blurb:

******

Homicide Detective Paige Aldridge has caught her fair share of killers. Yet she knows the Devil's Mark Killer is something different. Each victim has the mark of the Devil carved into their skin. Using her powers as a Reader, she searches the Collective Conscious searching for anyone thinking about the Devil's mark.

And she finds someone. Through their eyes, she sees they are over the body of a woman with the same mark carved into her chest. She sends the thought for the killer to look at his license and he does. She has her suspect - Victor McCain.

In this thrilling crossover novel featuring Lynn Tincher's Paige Aldridge and Tony Acree's Victor McCain, demons are on the loose and the bodies are piling up as an ancient evil seeks revenge on those who imprisoned him, as well as an unknown player who wants to destroy both Paige and Victor.

******

Those of you who follow my blog know I’m an avid fan of sci-fi & fantasy, dark fantasy, paranormal and good quality horror. On those occasions I do stray from that niche, I’m drawn to crime thrillers. (Think Clancy/Grisham, etc, and you’ll be on the right track).

Imagine my delight, then, when I read the blurb above, as it seemed to incorporate all the elements I would like. . .

And I wasn’t wrong!

No spoilers here, but what you get is a riotous, supernatural murder-mystery-whodunit, with just the right amount of (pull my finger) humor sprinkled in amongst the action. And there’s action aplenty in this saga of Good v Evil. Even better, the battle’s not as straight forward as you think it would be. There are fallen angels plotting foul deeds; demons running rampant; warriors of light wielding holy sword; mind-bending paranormal practitioners abusing decent, everyday folk; biker gangs ready to shoot anything that moves; and don’t forget the wayward band of religious zealots, hell-bent on making an already difficult situation nigh on impossible to deal with. You see? It’s all great fun.

And what I reeeally enjoyed about it?

Along with relatable characters, an engaging dialogue, and plenty of well paced action, The Devil’s Mark was built on the foundations of a firm plotline that – while giving you clues along the way – didn’t devalue the story by making it blatantly obvious as to who was responsible for what outrage . . . until it was time for the appropriate reveal, that is.

A definite ‘plus-mark’ there.
(And if Acree and Tincher incorporate this quality into all their novels, then I’m just gonna have to check out more about
Victor McCain and Paige Aldridge, aren’t I?)

So, if you like your tales fiendishly fearsome and foul, this is one to add to your list.






No comments:

Post a Comment