Tuesday, November 15, 2016

What's Hot & What's Not


As the weather outside gets colder, I've been curling up with a few good books and the odd series here and there to pass the time. I thought I'd let you know how I got on.

Dexter

I'm still getting into it, but I have to admit, I love the semi autobiographical style of this show. The way Dexter engages the audience adds that certain sense of detachment that, I think, adds to his cold, clinical detachment. A Great find I wish I'd gotten into sooner.

Luke Cage

I'm a fan of the Marvel franchise. I like a lot of what they've done, although I think certain TV shows have lost their magic a little. (Agent Carter for one). And I'm sorry to say it looks like I might be adding Luke Cage to that list of 'near misses'. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the setting and the atmosphere the show captures. Some of the characters are savvy and sharp and just what you need for a setting that's supposed to represent everything mean & moody, but for goodness sake - its slow. (Or is it me?). 
I'm a great believer in the slow buildup - but this? Someone light a fire under Luke's finely honed butt - and fast - or the flames of marvelesque passion will soon die out.
(I've even started watching re-runs of Jessica Jones to try and keep inspired)

Neverwhere

I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. On the basis of that, I ordered a bunch of his other books. (American Gods, How the Marquis Got His Coat Back, Fragile Things, Trigger Warnings.)
Nuff said?
Now here's a story that's as quintessentially English as afternoon tea and mad dogs at midday.
A superbly warped and twisted mind presenting a version of what is - I'm sure - a sample of his everyday life for our entertainment. I wish I'd gotten into Neil's work sooner. Brilliantly evocative, and as Britishly humored as they come. I'd be his Padawan apprentice any day.

So there you go, just a few of the mundane musings of an English guy living abroad.

Coming soon...Films & Series:
Star Trek - Into Darkness, Doctor Strange, Fantastic Beasts (and where to find them) - Supergirl, The Expanse series 1, Suicide Squad. (How's that for a mix?)
I can't wait... Let it snow, let it snow. I'm staying indoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment